I have run a range of creative workshops in college and community settings.
As an Associate Tutor at the Cardiff Open Art School (Metropolitan University) I deliver day and evening classes in Collage/illustration, Book Binding and Letterpress and lino printmaking.
Other clients include Humble By Nature, Kate Humble’s farm and rural skills centre in Monmouthshire, the SHO Gallery in Cardiff and the Makers Guild in Wales.
Please browse below forthcoming and previous workshops, and you can email me if you’d like to be the first to know about brand new workshops.
WORKSHOPS AT CARDIFF OPEN ART SCHOOL – HOWARD GARDENS CAMPUS
Click here to visit the COAS website and to book your place on any of the below courses.
Saturday 22 February 2014:
10.00 – 4.00 pm with an hour for lunch
The handmade book is an exciting and versatile form, which artists continue to be inspired by. During this class you will explore several approaches to making a book, from traditional Western and Eastern stitch bindings to one-sheet books, concertina and pocket books and also more innovative and surprising ways to construct and finish your book. A collection of artist books, zines and journals will be on hand to give you some ideas for book form and content, and how the two are linked.
The workshop will begin with a visit to National Museum Wales to Sir Peter Blake’s exhibition Llareggub, in which he has illustrated Dylan Thomas’ Under Milk Wood for Dylan Thomas’ Centenary year. During the visit we will examine and discuss the collage techniques he uses for creating his images, and how he has brought the characters, settings and stories of Dylan Thomas alive using this medium.
Following which, we will return to Howard Gardens late morning and begin to put together our own collages, taking Peter Blake’s work as a starting point. This course is suitable for artists wishing to develop new ideas, plus those with no previous collage or drawing experience.
To bring with you: Please bring an A4 sketchbook, glue, scissors and any newspapers, magazine cuttings, papers or other visual elements you wish to include in your collages.
Please bring an apron and some ideas of quotes, sentences or words that you would like to work with.
Saturday 5 April 2014:
INTRODUCTION TO ILLUSTRATION
10 am – 4 pm with an hour for lunch
Illustration is an art of communication – of narratives, ideas, situations, conversations, concepts and characters. In this workshop we will look at the varying techniques and approaches used by historical and contemporary illustrators in addition to important elements of visual design such as colour, movement and composition. By the end of the workshop you will have had the opportunity to try your hand at different media and exercises, and begin to develop ideas for your own illustrative work. You will gain an insight into the broad application of illustration within visual culture, for example editorial, narrative, commercial and product illustration. This class will encourage you to be inventive and playful and all abilities are welcome.
Suitable for all. Please bring an apron!
** PAST WORKSHOPS**
- Saturday 16 November 2013 – Print it: Create your own cards and wrapping paper at Humble by Nature
- August 2013 – Screen Printing and Book Binding workshops as part of Artist Residency in Tranas, Sweden.
Monday 13 May – Monday 10 June 2013 – 4 evenings of book binding at Cardiff Open Art School
- Saturday 17 November 2012 – Stamp It: Create your own cards and wrappin paper at Humble by Nature
- Saturday 10 November 2012- Festive Lino and Letterpress printmaking at Cardiff Open Art School
Saturday 20 October 2012 – Book binding and Handmade Books at Cardiff Open Art School
- Saturday 18 August – Book binding and Handmade Books at Cardiff Open Art School
- Saturday 11 August – Letterpress at Cardiff Open Art School
- Saturday 28 July 2012 – Collage at Cardiff Open Art School
- Saturday 11 February 2012 – Letterpress at Cardiff Open Art School
- Thursday 8 September – Thursday 6 October: 5 week course of 3d paper sculpture and book arts at the SHO Gallery in Cardiff. To coincide with my work being shown at the SHO gallery (Subtitle Exhibition), I ran workshops making Room Books, Memo Books, Paper-cut, Books like little villages and exploring all sorts of ways to make the pages stand alone and come alive.
- Saturday 6 – Sunday 7 August – Letterpress Printmaking – Cardiff Open Art School, Howard Gardens. Click HERE to see pictures from this weekend workshop.
- Saturday 30 – Sunday 31 July – Collage – Cardiff Open Art School, Howard Gardens
- Saturday 16 July – Creative Journals at Craft in the Bay, Cardiff
- Saturday 26 March – Keepsake Books at Craft in the Bay, Cardiff
- Here are some photographs of the Book Making workshop I ran last year at Milkwood Gallery, as part of the Shoe Tales exhibition. We made concertina books, pocket books and even books out of one piece of A4 paper. Get in touch if you’d like to stay informed of other workshops I’m running.
* * *
Over the past few years I’ve run a range of creative workshops. These have included book making, canvas bags, collage, bunting, jewellery and postcard storytelling. I can tailor a workshop according to your interest or needs, and have worked with both children and adult audiences. Please contact me if you would like to book me to run a workshop.